Thursday, October 23, 2008

Soldiers tell of service in Iraq

By Will Ockendon, Northants Evening Telegraph

Soldiers from the Northampton region who are serving in war-torn Iraq have spoken about their experiences.

Private Martyn Roach, 26, from Wellingborough, and Private Danny Towns, 19, from Kettering, are helping to train members of the Iraqi security forces.

Pte Roach said: "Training the Iraqis has not been too bad and sometimes it is quite fun. We did an exercise where I played the enemy and the Iraqis had to come and capture me and throw me on their wagon.They were so happy to speak to me and know where I was from and hear all about it. They are really friendly."

Pte Towns said: "It's been good doing the training days but I was expecting to be a bit more active, especially in the infantry."Teaching the Iraqis how to do strike operations was good fun."

For the full story click here for the Northants Evening Telegraph

No comments: